The scientific method is a hypothesis based process people use to understand the world around them by investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting previous knowledge. wether it is an astronomy question, a social science question or physics question, the scientific method provides a logical way to help us understand more.
These are the steps in the scientific method:
- Make an observation- Look at the world around you, is there something you do’t understand? Is there a phenomena that you had never observed before? Are there facts that you do not agree with and want to know if they are true?
- Ask a question- The purpose of the question is to narrow the focus of the inquiry, to identify the problem in specific terms.
- Research- Doing more background research on the question to gather information in helping you form a hypothesis.
- Hypothesis- A hypothesis is an informed guess as to the possible answer of the question. The purpose of the hypothesis is not to arrive at the perfect answer to the question but to provide a direction to further scientific investigation.
- Experiment- Design a test based on the hypothesis to find out if the hypothesis is true or false.
- Analysis- After or during tests, note down results. it would be good to perform multiple tests and take down the results to decrease random errors.
- Conclusion- Analyses the data and use it to draw a conclusion regarding the strength of the hypothesis. If the data proves the hypothesis correct, the original question is answered. On the other hand, if the data disproves the hypothesis, form a new hypothesis and test it , repeat it until a hypothesis can be proven correct by a scientific experiment.